Do I Need to Tell Social Security that I Changed My Name At the Time of Divorce?

Yes. Be sure to tell both Social Security and your employer. This ensures that your earning are properly reported by your employer and recorded in Social Security records. You can get a new card from Social Security with your new name.

For additional questions contact a Social Security representative at 1-800-772-1213 between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday.